5.08.2012

Books I Read in April

Lone Wolf, by Jodi Picoult:

I love Jodi Picoult, and still do. But this one just fell a little flat. I didn't feel invested in the characters at all and the legal drama didn't seem terribly unique.  The creative heart of her books, I think, are the crazy circumstances her characters find themselves in - like My Sisters Keeper and Sing You Home.  Yes, the dude living with wolves was crazy, but not the drama surrounding his kids fighting over his estate. 

Daughter of Smoke and Bone, by Laini Taylor:
This was another book I chose because it was on Amazon's top 20 for 2011, and I love YA fiction.  It was one of the better ones I read from that list.  After finally getting to the main character's 'big reveal' about her background the story moves at breakneck pace. Lots of supernatural/fantasy stuff to digest if you are/aren't into that kind of thing.  There are lots of similarities to the Mortal Instruments series.  It's easier to suspend your disbelief in this book; maybe because it's set in Prauge rather than New York City, the supernatural seems like more of a possibility.    It had a good Romeo and Juliet themed love story - I bought into it :)

The Night Circus, by Erin Morgenstern:
This is a love it/hate it kind of book. I fell firmly into the LOVE IT category. There was just something about it's fantastical nature that kinda swept me away. I loved imagining the different 'tents' at this 'circus' and I'm NOT a circus person, I'm a Cirque du Soleil person - big difference. It reminded me of the magic of watching Cirque in a way. Of course, now they're going to make a movie and ruin my imagination. Figures.

Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline:
Confession, this was my favorite book of the month and I am basically declaring myself a complete DORK.  But, it was a super fun read for my inner sci-fi geek. It's like a mash up of Willy Wonka and Caprica (in a good way - I thought Caprica was a total affront to BSG) with a ton of 80s nostalgia thrown in.  This is another one that's being made into a film, so if it sounds at all interesting to you, read it now before they ruin it. 

What are you reading?!

0 comments:

Post a Comment